by Rebecca Gerhardstein Nader, PhD
Purpose: Measures vocabulary and oral language development and provides an alternative way to assess overall intellectual ability
Age: 2 years, 6 months to 95 years
Admin: Paper and pencil, Online scoring via PARiConnect
Time: 5-20 minutes each
Qualification Level: B
Vocabulary Assessment Scales–Expressive® and Vocabulary Assessment Scales–Receptive
The VAS offers an alternative measure of overall intellectual ability for students who may have difficulty with traditional IQ tests. It is a picture vocabulary test that uses modern, engaging stimuli to measure expressive and receptive language throughout the age range.
Features and benefits
- The only picture vocabulary test that provides both an expressive/receptive score and a composite score.
- The only picture vocabulary test that provides reliable change scores.
- Requires no reading or writing and minimal motor skills.
- Features less complicated basal and ceiling rules than similar measures, so it's easier to administer and score.
- The only picture vocabulary test that uses full-color digital photographs instead of outdated line drawings.
- The VAS-E presents a single picture along with a verbal prompt (e.g., “What is this?”). Examinees are required to verbally provide a single-word response.
- The VAS-R presents a set of four picture stimuli and asks examinees to select the picture that best corresponds to the word spoken by the examiner.
- Scoring is available 24/7 on PARiConnect, our online assessment platform.
- Large normative sample (N = 2,678) from 30 states is based on 2009 U.S. Census statistics.
- Normative data is provided for 28 different age groups and for Grades K-12 (spring and fall).
- Validity was measured in 13 groups (N = 544).