by Jack A. Naglieri, PhD and David Wechsler, PhD
Purpose: Nonverbal Scale of Ability.
Admin: Individual paper-and-pencil
Time: Full battery: 45 minutes; Brief version: 15-20 minutes
Qualification Level: A
When language poses a barrier to typical administration, or where traditional intellectual assessment results would be questionable due to language-related difficulties, the WNV is appropriate for all individuals.
WNV is a valid tool for use with low incidence disorders such as cerebral palsy, aphasia, physically-/multiple-handicapped, and autism spectrum disorders.
- No need to pantomime of instructions.
- Native language of the examinee is irrelevant to performance.
- Deploy full battery or brief version of the tool according to need and offer help, when appropriate, with flexible standard administration.
- Support Spanish-dominant examinees when no Spanish-speaking clinician or translator is available.
- Meet current IDEA requirements.
Both a Full Battery and Brief Version of WNV are available. The Full Battery includes the following subtests: Matrices, Objective Assembly, Coding, Recognition, Spatial Span, and Picture Arrangement. The Brief Version includes two subtests and yields a single ability score.