Erna Imperatore Blanche, PhD, OTR/L / Gustavo Reinoso, PhD, OTR/L / Dominique Blanche Kiefer, OTD, OTR/L
Ages: 5 through 14
Testing Time: 20–40 Minutes
Administration Instructions in English and Spanish
Qualification Level: B
The SOSI-M is a new nationally standardized assessment of sensory-based motor skills, based in Ayres Clinical Observations, and developed by well-regarded experts in sensory integration.
The SOSI-M includes 14 sets of administered items that assess proprioception, vestibular processing, motor planning, and postural control.
- Romberg (firm and soft surface, eyes open and closed)
- Heel to Toe (firm and soft surface, eyes open and closed)
- Standing on One Foot (eyes open and closed)
- Modified Postural Schilder’s Arm Extension Test
- Series of Jumps (jumping jacks; symmetric and reciprocal stride jumps)
- High Kneeling (right and left weight shift and reach)
- Antigravity Extension
- Antigravity Flexion
- Ocular Movements (vertical and horizontal)
- Slow Ramp Movements
- Sequential Finger Touching
- Diadochokinesis (right, left, and bilateral)
- Projected Actions in Time and Space (ball in the air and ball against the wall)
Comprehensive Observations of Proprioception (COP-R)
In conjunction with the SOSI-M, the COP-R, a behavioral observation tool, was developed to provide essential information about a child’s proprioceptive processing. The COP-R is comprised of 18 items and compares a child’s observed skills to typical children their age. This tool provides information about the motor and behavioral skills linked to proprioceptive processing. It is one of the first tools to provide a systematic way to measure proprioception in a clinical setting.
SOSI-M kit includes: Manual, Spanish Administration Instructions, Quick Start Administration Guide, 25 Record Forms, 25 Comprehensive Observations of Proprioception (COP-R) Forms, one 15 cm and one 20 cm square, one 8-1/2 x 11 projected actions target, tennis ball, pencil with pencil topper, stopwatch, tote bag and Airex foam mat.