by Elisabeth M. S. Sherman, PhD, and Brian L. Brooks, PhD
Purpose: Assesses whether an examinee is providing valid test scores
Age range: 5 to 21 years
Admin: Individual, paper and pencil
Admin time: 5-7 minutes
Qualification Level: A (Psychologist)
The MVP is a performance validity test (PVT) for children, adolescents, and young adults that covers visual and verbal domains in just 5-7 minutes.
Features and benefits
- The first stand-alone PVT specifically designed for, nationally standardised on, and validated for use with children, adolescents, and young adults ages 5-21 years.
- The first PVT conormed with the Child and Adolescent Memory Profile (ChAMP) and the Multidimensional Everyday Memory Ratings for Youth (MEMRY).
- The first PVT with age-adjusted cutoff scores to minimize false positives in younger children.
- No motor requirements: Can be administered to youth with motor impairments and visual impairments as well as those with developmental or acquired cognitive, academic, or behavioural concerns.
- Straightforward and easy to administer.
- Consists of two subtests—Visual and Verbal. Each subtest is divided into two brief item sets, with the second set perceived as progressively more challenging than the first.
- Administration requires only the Stimulus Book and the Record Form. The Record Form contains the instructions for administering each subtest and for recording responses. The Stimulus Book contains the Visual subtest items.
- The Visual subtest yields an MVP Visual score, and the Verbal subtest yields an MVP Verbal score; when combined, these scores make up the overall MVP Total score.
- Standardised on a sample of 1,221 examinees from more than 35 U.S.states using a population-proportionate, stratified random sampling plan based on 2012 U.S. Census statistics and 198 youth with clinical diagnoses.
- MVP cutoff scores were calibrated based on the state-of-the-art in PVT development, including binomial probability theory, performance in healthy youth and in clinical samples, and an invalid performance sample.