By Gale H. Roid, Ph. D. and Jackie L. Sampers, Ph. D.
Age Range: 1 month– 6 1/2 years
Time: Approximately 45 minutes administration
Qualification Level: A (Psychologist)
The latest revision of the 1931 Merrill-Palmer Scales, the Merrill-Palmer-R, published by Stoelting, retains the types of engaging “hands-on” activities that hold the interest of even the youngest subjects. Innovative, toy-based activities assess visual-motor, learning and problem solving using choke-safe, colorful materials. In the tradition of the Leiter-3, Stoelting has completely updated, revised and expanded the well-known and well-respected Merrill-Palmer Scales of Development. The Merrill-Palmer-R follows the natural progression of activities for children from 1 month to 6-1/2 years, and is especially useful in assessing children born pre-term (premature).
Meets the Requirements of IDEA Legislation with separate scores within each IDEA domain, as well as yielding a global score:
The Merrill-Palmer-R provides normative standard scores, percentiles, age equivalents and criterion-referenced, change-sensitive “growth scores” for the five IDEA domains:
- Cognitive Development — Verbal and Nonverbal Reasoning, Memory, Visual Motor and Speed of Processing
- Language/Communication Development — Receptive and Expressive Language, evaluated by Examiner and Parent
- Motor Development — Fine Motor and Gross Motor
- Social-Emotion Behavior — Developmental Scale and Clinical Data, rated by Examiner and Parent
- Self-Help/Adaptive Behavior — Developmental and Global Examiner and Parent Rating Scales
Addresses Five Major Assessment Needs
- Early identification of developmental delays
- Change-sensitive assessment of premature infants
- Measurement of incremental improvement in development
- Reliable and valid developmental assessment for children with limited expressive language ability
- Comprehensive assessment required by IDEA, to develop Individual Family Service Plans (IFSP) and Individual Education Plans (IEP)
Recommended uses for the Merrill-Palmer-R
- Developmental assessment of Cognitive, Language/Communication, Motor, Self-Help and Social-Emotional Domains, required by federal and state regulations
- Assessment of general cognitive development in English- and Spanish-speaking children
- Screening of infants and children who have been referred for the evaluation of possible developmental delays or disabilities
- Assessment of children with hearing impairments/deafness, autism or other disabilities with limited language skills
- Re-evaluations of individuals previously identified as “developmentally delayed”
The Merrill-Palmer-R Growth Score Profile allows the examiner to plot scores of individual Developmental Index domains, relating them to Age Equivalence, and across Developmental domains. Once these scores are plotted, specific areas of deficit can be identified using test item performance, relative to expectations. These results can then be used to develop an educational plan targeting those deficits.
Number of Items in Early Childhood Developmental Assessments
|Cognitive (111*)||Visual Reception (33)||Mental (178)||Cognitive (105)|
|Gross Motor (75)||Gross Motor (35)||Motor (111)||Motor (100)|
|Fine Motor (59)||Fine Motor (51)||Behavior (30)|
|Language (140)||Language (98)||Communication (85)|
|Self-Help/Adaptability (44)||Adaptability (60)|
|Social/Emotional (37)||Personability & Sociability (100)|
*Overall cognitive index across scales=238
The Merrill-Palmer-R has excellent reliability. Internal consistency for the Developmental Index is .97-.98, with other developmental scales ranging from .87-.97. Scale information curves are provided. Validity data includes extensive content-related, criterion related and consequential validity studies. The test is a good fit to the Rasch Model, and expert evaluations supported the content structure. The Developmental Index correlates .92 with the Bayley Mental Scale, even higher with the Leiter-R, and .80-.86 with the SB-5 abbreviated battery.
The Manual provides national norms based on nearly 1,400 cases (over 200 atypical), corresponding to the 2000 Census for gender, ethnicity, socioeconomic level and geographic region.
The complete Merrill-Palmer-R includes the comprehensive Administration/Scoring Manual, Infant Stimuli book, Easel Book, Fido Book, Choke-Safe Toys and Manipulatives, and 20 each of all necessary Forms (English only) in a convenient Rolling Bag. All forms are sold in packs of 20.
* Not scored separately.
**Heavy English language basis