Qualification Level: A (Psychologist)
The Symptom Checklist-90-R (SCL-90-R) instrument helps evaluate a broad range of psychological problems and symptoms of psychopathology. The instrument is also useful in measuring patient progress or treatment outcomes.
The SCL-90-R instrument is used by clinical psychologists, psychiatrists, and professionals in mental health, medical and educational settings as well as for research purposes. It can be useful in:
- Initial evaluation of patients at intake as an objective method for symptom assessment
- Measuring patient progress during and after treatment to monitor change
- Outcomes measurement for treatment programs and providers through aggregated patient information
- Clinical trials to help measure the changes in symptoms such as depression and anxiety
- The SCL-90-R test contains only 90 items and can be complete in just 12-15 minutes.
- The test helps measure 9 primary symptom dimensions and is designed to provide an overview of a patient's symptoms and their intensity at a specific point in time.
- The progress report graphically displays patient progress for up to 5 previous administrations.
- By providing an index of symptom severity, the assessment helps facilitate treatment decisions and identify patients before problems become acute.
- The Global Severity Index can be used as a summary of the test.
- More than 1,000 studies have been conducted demonstrating the reliability, validity and utility of the instrument.